Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Non-French speakers: getting internet and television in your apartment

UPDATE! It's possible to get a contract with only internet, but in that case the fastest internet you'll have is 8 MB. For most people that's slow. Click here for more information.

Having internet in my Parisian studio was crucial for me, so it was an unhappy surprise when it turned out there was no internet, especially since the landlady had said there was internet. She truly thought there was internet. The previous tenant had never mentioned to her that she couldn't connect.
My next mission was to get an internet connection as fast as possible. I found out that the Orange store at Champs-Elysées has English-speaking employees. Even the technician that was sent to my studio to install internet spoke English. The only thing I didn't like about Orange was that I couldn't get a contract for only internet. I had to get a contract that included internet, television and a fixed phone line. And I don't even have a television in my room, let alone a fixed phone! In the Netherlands you can easily get a contract for only internet. Well, France is not the Netherlands...
Until now I have not found a French telecommunications company where you can get only internet. Because of that, I advice expats and international students to go to Orange. At least you'll be able to explain your problems and wishes in English. Within one or two weeks you'll have the internet connection of your dreams and 200 television channels to choose from. You won't have to miss E!'s Keeping Up With The Kardashians! or National Geographic's The Incredible Dr. Pol (He's Dutch, like me. Did you know?), just because you live in France now. Furthermore you can end the contract whenever you want.
Good luck!  
Practical information
Address
125 Avenue des Champs Élysées, 75008 Paris
Arrondissement
8th
Price
€ 40 per month for the fastest internet connection that's currently available, 200 television channels and a fixed phone line. There are also cheaper options.
Website
http://lafibre.orange.fr/ 
Metro
The nearest metro station is George V (red circle below).

   

3 comments:

  1. Great post!! I just moved to Paris and I live in the 6th arrondisment. There is an orange store right across the street from me and I was able to get a livebox for ONLY internet. It costs 24euros a month which is much less than expected. Maybe it depends on the store you go to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll audit this blog as An and it exhibits how much effort has been put into this.
    free walking tour stockholm

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blog gives you such emotions that it’s composed for you.
    segway stockholm

    ReplyDelete