Sunday, September 8, 2013

Applying for CAF (Housing Allowance provided by the French state)

UPDATE! I started with the CAF application in September and the last week of December I finally received it. Hang in there!

The monthly rent is probably your biggest expense while living in Paris. Luckily, the French state understands that housing is barely affordable for people with a limited budget. Therefore it provides a housing allowance for low-income inhabitants, including (international) students. This allowance is called CAF, which is short for caisse d’allocations familiales. In some cases the allowance is € 200 a month, so going through the bureaucracy that is linked to the application for CAF is definitely worth it!

You can apply for CAF online, but afterwards you have to send them documents by mail. Personally I plan on going to the CAF office and hand them over my documents. Make sure you do the online application as soon as possible (even if you don't have the required papers yet), because the date of your online application is the date from which on you will get money! Sometimes people receive retroactive payments, but I don't think you want to risk getting less money than you deserve. Click on the link to apply for CAF online.

If you want more information on CAF and the application procedure, please read the following English-language document that is written by CAF: Student Housing Benefit (CAF)

This is the list of documents that I have to provide myself for the application (I'm still in the process), so you will probably have to provide them as well:
- After the online application you will receive two documents that you have to print. One must be signed by you, one must be signed by your landlord/ landlady.
- A copy of your birth certificate.
- A copy of your passport.
- Proof of being a student at a French educational institution (in my case a document provided by Sciences Po once I was registered as a student)
- A copy of your European Medical Health Insurance Card. If you are not a European Union citizen you have to provide something else that has to do with your health insurance or the French social security.
- A copy of the rental contract.
- Proof of your earnings in 2011 and 2012. I asked the tax authorities of my birth country to send me an income (tax) statement of 2011 and 2012. This took me 6 weeks, so be prepared that getting the right papers can cost a lot of time.

Good luck!


  1. That s very very useful! thanks a lot!
    Does the documentation need to be in French? I mean the birth certificate and the the income tax statement.

  2. It has to be either in French or you have to provide a translation in French with it. Good luck!

  3. I'm a student on full scholarship and have never worked a paid job before, and so in essence I don't have any income tax. Do I still have to provide some sort of documentation for that?

    1. Yes, you do. I was in the same situation and I still had to provide documentation. Luckily, the Dutch tax authorities was able to provide documentation stating that I had not earned anything. (I am Dutch)

  4. Do you know what we should put in Numéro Securité Sociale? I'm from Barcelona (so from the European Union and I have the European Medical Health Insurance Card), but I don't know what to do here since I guess that it is only for French people...

    1. I don't remember what I put there. It's been a while! Either I filled in my Dutch social security number or nothing at all.

  5. Thanks for the FANTASTIC post! This information is really good and thanks a ton for sharing it :) I m looking forward despee that ever did that. Keep it up
    student houses newcastle

    1. Thank you so much for your compliment! I appreciate it!

  6. oh thank you! this helps immensely! I had wandered through the blog previously, but hadn't found this post. I'm so excited to apply- dreaming of living there again!

    Student accommodation close to Hallam University | Cheapest student accommodation in Sheffield

  7. Every student want housing allowance is every country .
    one of the step of France state really great nice see this post .

    IQ Sheffield | All inclusive student accommodation in Sheffield

  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

  9. thanks for your best guide line and also you given us best advice
    to student and visitors .
    i am so glad to see this post .

    Modern student accommodation in Manchester | Student accommodation close to Manchester city centre

  10. Every year many people visit Paris in their vacation its really great and save place for surf vacation i love it .
    thanks for your reviews and information keep it up .

    cheapest Leicester Student accommodation
    Luxury student accommodation in Leicester
    Student accommodation close to De Montfort University

  11. Hi Marie
    Thank you for your post

    But may I ask you some questions?
    Are exchange students eligible to get this subsidy? I was told by my university that a bank won't provide us with bank account because little time in France (4 - 5 months)

    1. Hi! Exchange students are indeed eligible. I was an exchange student myself and I received CAF. I lived one year in Paris, but some of my friends from college were only one semester in Paris and they still managed to receive CAF. However, bear in mind that it may take months before you actually receive the money. In my case, it took until December before I received my CAF payments and I had started the procedure in July!

  12. Truly affluent content and incredibly practical in a row. I got it my explanation from over here. I extremely advise his/her works with the functional enlightening information.

    All inclusive student accommodation in Huddersfield | Cheap student accommodation in Huddersfield